A former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Bala Mohammed, has been arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, PREMIUM TIMES learnt late Monday.
Details of Mr. Mohammed’s arrest remained fuzzy as at the time of filing this report, but sources confirmed was in detention at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja on Monday night.
“Yes, we have him in our custody,” a source said.
Another source said Mr. Mohammed’s detention was still being processed at about 8:45 p.m. on Monday. He is expected to spend at least Monday night at the commission’s office.
The EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, could not be reached for comment late Monday.
Mr. Mohammed, a former senator from Bauchi State, served as the Minister of the FCT under President Goodluck Jonathan between 2010-15.
An anti-corruption crackdown launched by the Muhammadu Buhari administration shortly after assuming office last year had seen dozens of the Jonathan administration officials and associates arrested for corruption.
Alongside Mr. Mohammed, others in EFCC custody as at Monday night were Musiliu Obanikoro, a former minister of state for defence; Femi Fani-Kayode, a spokesperson for Mr. Jonathan’s re-election campaign last year, and Reuben Abati, the former president’s spokesperson while in office.
Via Premium Times
Former President Goodluck Jonathan has said that his administration fought corruption in the country without making noise about it.
Mr. Jonathan said this on Monday while speaking at the Oxford Union of the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom.
The immediate past Nigerian leader spoke on the theme “Promoting Youth Entrepreneurship”.
Responding to inquiries by some of the students regarding his administration’s fight against corruption, Mr. Jonathan said he would not like to “interfere with the legal processes” because “several matters are pending in court”.
Mr. Jonathan however said he did enough to reform anti-corruption agencies to enable them function effectively.
“We reformed the institutions and introduced various mechanisms to stop the corruption problems in our country without publicity,” he said,
Mr. Jonathan lost his bid for a second term in 2015 .
Using his Twitter handle, the former president paid glowing tributes to Nigerian youth and said “any Nation that does not spend its wealth and resources to develop the capacity of its youth, will be forced to use them to fight insecurity.
“As a leader, you can decide through your policies to educate the youth, or face the consequences of failing to do so,” he said.
Mr. Jonathan also said his administration put in place some youth related policies, which, he said, grew the Nigerian economy.
“Despite incredible challenges, Nigerian youths are achieving great things and placing Nigeria positively in the world map. They inspire us,” he said.
He also said his administration increased the allowances due to Youth Corps members by more than 100% in 2011.
Mr. Jonathan added that the PDP administration that he led “identified Nollywood as a sector that can employ many young people and provided a grant of $200 million to boost the industry”.
“As a result, Nollywood became a major contributor to our GDP and in 2014, the industry contributed 1.4% to our GDP,” he said.
“We may not have been perfect, but we did our best, and our best yielded an era of unprecedented economic growth for Nigeria. A growth that proved the truism that a Nation’s wealth is not underneath the ground but between the ears of her people.
“Under my watch, Nigeria was projected by CNN Money to be the third fastest growing economy in the world for the year 2015.
“While serving as President of Nigeria, I worked for the next generation and not for the next elections. I have no regrets for what I did,”Mr. Jonathan said.
The former president also called on contemporary African leaders to see youth entrepreneurship as a collective project transcending national boundaries.
Via Premium Times
A former presidential spokesperson, Reuben Abati, has been arrested.
Mr. Abati, who was spokesperson to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan was arrested on Monday and is expected to spend at least Monday night at the office of the anti-graft agency, EFCC.
The journalist is being questioned for allegedly receiving some money from former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, EFCC sources told PREMIUM TIMES.
Mr. Dasuki is currently being tried by the EFCC for his management of arms funds under him , in what is now known as #Dasukigate.
Mr. Abati’s arrest makes it at least three former aides of Mr. Jonathan who are currently in EFCC custody.
A former minister of state for defence is still with the commission since last week Monday when he voluntarily surrendered himself after staying months away from the country; while Femi Fani-Kayode, a former Jonathan campaign spokesperson, was arrested on Friday and is still with the commission.
Via Premium Times
A Moscow nanny on Monday pleaded guilty to murdering the four-year-old disabled child in her charge after brandishing the child’s severed head on the street.
“I plead guilty; that’s what she said,” an interpreter said as Uzbek national Gyulchekhra Bobokulova went on trial, Interfax news agency reported.
In a chilling case, Bobokulova was arrested in February as she waved the severed head of four-year-old Anastasia outside a Moscow metro station.
The girl’s headless body was later found in the family’s flat, which had been set on fire.
The prosecutor at Moscow’s Khoroshevsky district court read out the charges that 39-year-old Bobokulova had strangled Anastasia, who had cerebral palsy, and then beheaded her.
She then overturned an oil lamp that set the apartment ablaze and went outside carrying the child’s head.
Witnesses said that the nanny paced for around 20 minutes on the street dressed in black, waving the severed head and threatening to blow herself up.
Russia’s national television channels refused to cover the grisly killing in a controversial move that the Kremlin defended, saying the subject was “probably too monstrous to be shown on television.”
Her trial is being covered by state television, however.
In March, at her first court appearance following her arrest, Bobokulova said that “it was what Allah ordered,” speaking in broken Russian.
Bobokulova is being held in custody at a psychiatric hospital within Moscow’s ageing Butyrka jail.
She has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and ruled not mentally capable. Prosecutors will ask for her to be incarcerated in a high-security psychiatric facility.
She is charged with the murder of a minor, which carries a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison, as well as arson and making a false report of an explosion.
Via The Punch
The All Progressives Congress on Monday said the lingering economic crisis in the country should no longer be blamed on the 16-year streak of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.
The party said it could no longer continue to blame past administrations for the enormous hardship Nigerians are grappling with.
The party’s new position was disclosed by the Governor of Imo State, Rochas Okorocha, when he briefed reporters shortly after he and other APC governors met with President Muhammadu Buhari in the State House on Monday afternoon.
“We must take responsibility and we must never shift the responsibility to anybody,” Mr. Okorocha said. “We are responsible for everything happening in Nigeria.”
“The good, the bad, the ugly but we are promising Nigerians that we shall fix it,” Mr. Okorocha said.
The admission followed months of stern denial from the leadership of the APC and the Buhari administration, who maintained that Nigerians should direct their anger towards the PDP.
Between mid-August and early September, the APC joined issues with the PDP for the latter’s role in bringing Nigeria to its current unbearable state.
The party’s chairman, John Oyegun, admonished the PDP to desist from commenting about economic matters, saying the party should apologise for its 16-year rule instead.
“It was stomach-churning and downright immoral for the ruinous PDP, which has yet to show remorse or exhibit any form of penitence for presiding over the mindless looting of the nation’s treasury, to now put itself up as the saviour of Nigerians,” Mr. Oyegun said in an August 22 statement.
Barely a week later on September 22,President Buhari again blamed the PDP for ruining the economy.
“After 16 years of PDP regime, there was no power supply, no much infrastructure, no rail and no security; this is what it left for us,’’ Mr. Buhari said.
But Mr. Okorocha, who is also the chairman of APC Governors’ Forum, said the party had now recognised that Nigerians are experiencing untold economic pains and his party had commenced initiatives that would address them.
“We share the pains of Nigerians, every human being must feel it,” Mr. Okorocha said. “We also feel what they are going through but we are asking for a little patience let us do things the right way and do it once and for all.”
Via Premium Times
The immediate past Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase, has denied reports that 19 assorted vehicles belonging to the police were recovered from him.
He said “some forces were bent on tarnishing” his image.
Mr. Arase had on July 18 denied claims by his successor, Ibrahim Idris, that he went away with 24 police vehicles.
“I suspect there must be a disconnect somewhere because every information needed by my successor are provided in my hand-over notes,” he said at the time.
“It’s unfortunate that this matter is being made a media issue because my successor has my telephone number and could have called me for any clarification or even sent me a text message rather than addressing the media on an issue well documented in my hand-over notes.”
His latest reaction followed a media report that 19 out of 24 vehicles he allegedly took away upon retirement had been recovered from him.
In a statement issued on Monday, Mr. Arase said he would not hesitate to seek legal redress against “those desperate to tarnish his image”.
“It is embarrassing for me to wake up on Monday morning to be inundated with calls and messages on purported 19 vehicles recovered from me. I wish to reassure the general public that there was nothing like that,” the former IG said.
“Like I said in July, I did not take any police vehicle with me outside what I am entitled to, and so, there couldn’t have been any vehicle recovered from me. If there was any such, those behind this campaign of calumny should please make the number plates of the vehicles public and where they were recovered from.”
“Rather than dissipating so much energy on ‘project drag Arase down’, I urge those behind this evil campaign to face their official responsibility for which much is expected from them by the nation. I have done my bit and my own records bear me witness. Let those daily frightened by the shadow of Arase learn to face reality and stop chasing shadows so that they are not hunted by same,” the ex-police boss said.
Via Premium Times
As part of efforts to totally stop cattle grazing in Abuja metropolis and major entrance and exit highways into the city centre, the FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello has met with members of the Miyatti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, FCT Chapter.
The group had at the weekend warned Ekiti State Government over killing of cows it said were deliberately targeted by the ‘anti-malu’ marshals inaugurated by Governor Ayo Fayose last Thursday.
During the meeting in his office today, the Minister reiterated that herdsmen must move their cattle out of the Federal Capital City because such animals cannot co-habit with the residents.
Malam Bello emphasized that for safety reasons, cattle should not roam on the streets and highways in the city.
His words: “You have to understand that when Abuja Environmental Protection Board says cattle should not roam the city, it is not because they want to prevent cattle breeders from raring cattle in the FCT. Basically, it is just for safety. It is for safety of your cattle and above all, safety of the citizens.”
“In a modern city, it’s not possible for animals and vehicles to move together on the roads because this could cause accidents which in some cases could be fatal, and it is our duty to protect lives and property”.
The Minister implored the Association to nominate some of their members to serve in the Ministerial Task Team on Environment under the Chairmanship of Squadron Leader, Abdullahi Adamu Monjel to ensure that there is smooth communication between FCTA and the Association.
“You can give him some number of educated young men in your communities who will be part of some of these Committees so that they will be able to communicate,” he added.
Bello said that the FCT Administration has moved a step further to even identify new grazing reserves that will cater for their requirements.
“A total of 33,485 hectares have already been earmarked for grazing reserves to cater for about 7 million herds of cattle comprising of Paikon Kore – 8,500 hectares, Karshi – 6,000 hectares, Kawu in Bwari – 9,000 hectares and Rubochi in Kuje which is 9,985 hectares,” the Minister revealed.
He noted that the critical issue is compensation for the farmers that are there but assured that his Administration will work together with the National Assembly to resolve that amicably.
The Minister remarked that the FCT Administration may even reach out to the host communities to work out a situation where compensation does not have to be in monetary terms because of the large expanse of land involved.
“Nothing should prevent the communities that are there and the Fulanis living together because you don’t always have to move people away,” he stressed.
The Minister thanked Miyetti Allah for its support to the FCT Administration and also to the Federal Government and urged them to continue to robustly support the government of President Muhammadu Buhari.
Speaking earlier, the Chairman of the FCT Chapter of MACBAN, Malam Yahaya Isah promised to continue to interface with the government to promote peaceful co-existence.
He assured that his Association will enlighten the members not to breed their cattle on the streets and highways of Abuja henceforth.
Via Daily Post
Prophet Ade Okeowo of Word of Liberty Evangelical Ministry, Ikorodu, Lagos State, has revealed that Nigeria will soon experience a turnaround as prices on commodities will crash in no time, stating that God did not, however, specify that the revelation would come to pass under President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime.
He specifically mentioned that God told him the cost of bag of rice and fuel, will be drastically reduced.
He made this revelation in a chat with Encomium, urging Nigerians to stop casting blames on President Buhari, as he needed time to fix the country.
He said, “That’s what God has revealed to me. Listen to me attentively; I am not speaking my words but God’s.
“Now, people buy rice N25, 000 per bag but God told me that we’re going to buy a bag of rice as cheap as N5, 000. A US dollar will exchange for as low as N150 and fuel will sell for as low as N30 or N40 per litre. That’s what God said will happen in this country.”
Asked if his prophecies will come to pass during Buhari’s administration, the cleric said, “God didn’t tell me that one but He revealed to me all of these and more beautiful things will happen after all the pain, but Buhari’s efforts will lead to that.
“Nigeria will be forced to a stage of break up but God will intervene.”
The Prophet further noted that Buhari is not to blame for the economic woes.
He said, “We should not blame anybody. People should not even hold Buhari responsible at all. From what God has revealed to me, He sent Buhari to Nigerians as an angel.
“God has also revealed to me that Buhari shouldn’t be worried, that everything will soon be alright. God showed me that Nigeria is like a second hand car (Tokunbo). We all know that if you buy a second hand car, it’s surely not in a perfect state. You will be fixing this today, that tomorrow until it’s fully fit. And it’s not something that will be done overnight.
“We all need to understand that if we want the country to move forward. Buhari is the one buying all the spare parts to repair the damaged car called Nigeria. By the time he completes the repair, the vehicle will move and everybody will enjoy it. That’s just the parable of Nigeria’s situation now.
“Everything will soon be alright. There are many Josephs that God is going to use to uplift this country, and Buhari is one of them.”
Recalling the other prophecies of his that have also come to pass in recent times, the Prophet said, “I predicted the Olympic soccer final. I said Germany would defeat Nigeria, it came to pass. I even said it’s going to be 2-0. I said the gold medal was for Brazil, they all came to pass.
“I predicted President Jonathan would lose the 2015 presidential election, a lot of people didn’t believe it. Even some prophets almost bet their lives on it that Buhari would lose, but it was revealed to me that Buhari would win and he won.
“Even, God revealed to me that no matter what other governorship candidates in Oyo do, Abiola Ajimobi will emerge victorious and it came to pass. I still have a message for him.”
The father of two concluded by saying “God told me to warn Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State to beware of the way he chose his commissioners so that they will not destroy his government.
“Also, Governor Amosun of Ogun State should be careful of some people in the state, because some of them are hell bent in destroying his government as well.”
Via Daily Post
Senior Pastor of the Family Worship Centre (FWC) in Abuja, Sarah Omakwu, has warned members not to offer stolen money to the church as tithes and offerings.
Omakwu said this on Sunday, while delivering a sermon, stating that she is not condemning sinners but money gotten from illegal means should not be brought to the church.
According to her, you cannot be stealing money and take it to church expecting to be forgiven by grace.
“Any money that you cannot explain to God, don’t bring it to this church.
“If you are in the civil service and you have stolen money, please don’t bring the tithe to this church; I say this in Jesus name. You cannot do all that and then think you come to church and say a short prayer, that God will forgive you because of Grace.
“In church today, you see Christian ladies dress and there is no difference between them and prostitutes. What harlots wear to the bar, you wear to church in the name of Grace; nobody can persecute you because the devil has you already.
“If you are a prostitute here today, I do not condemn you. You are my sister; you are a daughter of Abraham and your body belongs to the Lord. I know some girls do this because they have bills to pay and you the man, you have the money but you cannot help them unless you sleep with them.
“You the man who takes advantage of those young girls, what you give to them, your own children will have it too. Bible says rejoice with the wife of your youth and let her breasts satisfy you. Stop all these strange breasts everywhere. You may say, Pastor why are you cursing us? No I am not cursing you; I am praying you out of your depravity.
“If you have stolen money, don’t bring it to this church; I repeat it in Jesus name. Someone says pastor, we will miss money. Yes, I will rather miss your money and have you make heaven.
“Christians should be a standing rebuke to the world.”
Via Daily Post